From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage performance dropped considerably
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 01:51:35
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 27/01/2014 13:59, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >>
4 >> If the problem is really this potentially serious, why start from
5 >> scratch, when Paludis is already very mature? Is it pure politics
6 >> (someone just doesn't like Ciaran)?
7 >
8 > No-one likes to admit it, but I think there's some NIH going on
9
10 I don't think this is the reason - one could probably do a fork.
11 However, the approach taken by paludis is radically different
12 (and often not to the better - or at least, this is very disputable).
13 From the user perspective a change is not a good idea either:
14
15 The configuration is completely different, so more or less you have
16 to start from scratch, and if you want to switch back you have to
17 start from scratch again or update two setups in parallel
18 (and test in parallel that your changes were OK).
19
20 Moreover, you risk stability of your system if you change, since there
21 is no guarantee that the data written to /var/db/ is compatible:
22 There were times when this format was rather extended by portage,
23 so you could be missing some information after you switch back;
24 I do not know what is the current state of compatibility here.
25
26 Unfortunately, many of these arguments could hold for pkgcore as well.
27 At least, the compatibility of config and /var/db files is something
28 which has to be seriously considered by everybody who plans to change
29 on a production system.