From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Safeguarding strategies against SSD data loss
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 15:16:39
1 On Monday 27 Oct 2014 12:27:58 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 141027 Mick wrote:
3 > > On Sunday 26 Oct 2014 23:25:50 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
4 > >> With a caveat: if an ssd dies, it will die suddenly. Without a warning.
5 > >
6 > > I haven't yet started using SSD and wonder what sort of a system
7 > > should I set up to guard against such instantaneous catastrophic
8 > > failures.
9 >
10 > My desktop machine is now 2 yrs old & has an SSD for immediate stuff ;
11 > it also has an HHD with 500 GB available.
12 > Files I'm working on are backed daily to HHD & to USB stick ;
13 > once/week I use a script in Krusader to copy everything in ~ or /etc
14 > which has changed during that week onto HHD & USB
15 > & also to an off-site system I have I/net access to ;
16 > I also run a simple Bash script to rsync system files to an HHD copy.
17 > Every 9 mth I do a full back-up of everything in ~ or /etc ,
18 > of which I keep at least 1 copy off-site & another on CD (in future DVD)
19 > for when the Earth's poles change & everything magnetic is wiped out
20 > (grin).
21 >
22 > 2 belts + 3 braces : HTH.
23
24 I have never been that diligent with my back ups, unless we're talking about
25 critical data which I will save in two separate systems/media from the start.
26 Otherwise, I run a back up of the whole system every 3 months or so.
27
28 Perhaps with an SSD I will do this once a month.
29
30 --
31 Regards,
32 Mick