From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can a forced volume check be interrupted?
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 00:47:37
1 On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 14:52 -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Sometimes the ext3 forced volume check at boot triggers at an
4 > > inopportune time. Is there a way to skip it and let it run at the
5 > > next boot?
6 >
7 > Not once it has started, but there are some ways to avoid it running
8 > in the first place:
9 >
10 > Add "fastboot" to your kernel commandline to make it bypass the
11 > auto-fsck. A grub entry for "skip fsck" might be handy.
12 >
13 > Edit /etc/fstab to prevent the auto-fsck from ever running by changing
14 > the last field to 0.
15 >
16 > If it's an ext[123] you can use tune2fs -i 0 to set the auto-check
17 > interval to never.
20 Thats one reason I have been looking at btrfs - online fsck. Has been
21 solid even on unexpected crashes (I am setting up remote power on/off
22 and pressed the wrong button - more than once :) I actually had some
23 minor corruption on reiserfs, but btrfs was fine and could be checked
24 online anyway in a lot less time than reiserfsck took.
25
26 BillK