From: Carlos Hendson <skyclan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Output of sensor "k10temp-pci-00c3"
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 19:19:46
1 On Fri, 2013-03-22 at 20:58 +0100, Sascha Cunz wrote:
2 > In the recent thread "system freezes during compiles", Carlos Henderson showed
3 > the output of $(sensors), among them the output of the k10temp-pci-00c3.
4 >
5 > I stopped trusting that sensor. After some hours of idle, it shows me:
6 >
7 > k10temp-pci-00c3
8 > Adapter: PCI adapter
9 > temp1: +16.8°C (high = +70.0°C)
10 > (crit = +70.0°C, hyst = +67.0°C)
11 >
12 > 16.8°C is roughly 4°C _below_ the room temperature. If I'd boot to Windows
13 > right now, the mainboard-manufacturer's system utility shows a CPU temperature
14 > of 25°C (which is more or less the usual value it shows for Windows when
15 > idle).
16 >
17 > My CPU is:
18 >
19 > processor : 5
20 > vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
21 > cpu family : 21
22 > model : 1
23 > model name : AMD FX(tm)-6200 Six-Core Processor
24 > stepping : 2
25 > microcode : 0x6000626
26 >
27 > running on an Asrock mainboard (Kernel is a gentoo-3.8.1-r1).
28 >
29 > My question to the list is: Could this strange temperature be realistic? Does
30 > anyone have similar observations with AMD-Bulldozers?
31 >
32 > Sascha
35 Hi Sascha,
36
37 As a comparison, here's my machines processor:
38
39 vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
40 cpu family : 16
41 model : 10
42 model name : AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T Processor
43 stepping : 0
44 microcode : 0x10000bf
45
46 From the kernel document hwmon/k10temp has a couple points:
47
48 1. The driver detects the mainboard socket type and not the processors
49 actual capabilities. If an AM3 processor is on an AM2+ mainboard,
50 driver options may be required.
51
52 2. The temperature reported is relative to the point at which the system
53 must supply the maximum cooling for the processors specified maximum
54 case temperature and maximum thermal power dissipation.
55
56 It would appear that the temperature reported is quite possibly correct,
57 although not intuitive or easily verified as valid.
58
59 Hope that helps.
60
61 Regards,