From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mysql vs Mysql-community...
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 22:14:51
1 Ryan Crisman wrote:
2 > MySQL - Paid (Enterprise Edition), Paid Support
3 > MySQL Community - Free (Personal Edition), Community Support
4
5 While the above is true it fails to answer the question, "As
6 DBA/sysadmin what is the actual difference between the two so I can pick
7 the right one for my workload." At least that's the question I
8 interpreted the first post as asking.
9
10 Right now the code bases are exactly the same. Going forward it's not
11 clear whether I'll be able to compile Mysql Enterprise myself with
12 support for the Sphinx storage engine which is very fast for full text
13 searches and a feature I desperately need. Also unclear is if the high
14 concurrency Innodb thread fixes are going to be implemented in Community
15 or Enterprise first. Enterprise appears to be the stable branch and will
16 have changes back ported from Community, but the docs are less than
17 clear at this point. In any case the issues are a bit more complicated
18 than where your support comes from at least at the high end. For your
19 general web-app either would be fine.
20
21 kashani
22 --
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list