From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --info
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 21:27:34
1 On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 01:43:31PM -0700, Penguin Lover Richard Fish squawked:
2 > You really should follow the gcc upgrade guide [1], which tells you to:
3 >
4 > source /etc/profile
7 I did follow the guide and did source /etc/profile. I just forgot to
8 type that step in in composing the e-mail. And I have a .bash_history
9 to back me up ;p
10
11 I did a bit of experimentation, actually, and found that the behaviour
12 is different on my laptop and on my desktop. On my laptop where this
13 problem originates (default-linux profile and ~x86 keyword):
14
15 1) no matter what I do with gcc-config (and sourcing /etc/profile
16 afterwards of course), the emerge --info gives the same compiler.
17
18 2) To actually affect the emerge --info I need to use 'eselect
19 compiler set', i.e. now that I issued 'eselect compiler set 6', my
20 emerge --info reads correctly
21 Portage 2.1.2_pre1 (default-linux/x86/2006.0, gcc-4.1.1/vanilla
22
23 But on my desktop (which is on a hardened profile with x86 keyword)
24
25 3) gcc-config would successfully change the output of emerge --info
26
27 4) and 'eselect compiler' returns
28 "!!! Error: Can't load module compiler"
29 which is natural, since eselect-compiler is keyworded ~x86.
30
31 Are those the intended behaviour? Or is something seriously wacked up?
32
33 W
34 --
35 Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd
36 be sitting around in darkened rooms munching pills and listening to repetitive
37 music.
38 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 24 days, 14:43
39 --
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list