From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: log messages
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 18:52:08
1 Hi Harry,
2
3 Harry Putnam wrote:
4
5 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
6 >
7 >> On Wednesday 17 February 2010 00:36:42 Harry Putnam wrote:
8 >>> Hundreds, maybe thousands of lines like this (wrapped for mail):
9 >>>
10 >>> Feb 16 09:38:47 reader kernel: [162289.090685] usb 4-2.1:1.1: uevent
11 >>>
12 >>> Feb 16 09:38:48 reader kernel: [162289.467065] hdc: status error:
13 >>> status=0x00 { }
14 >>>
15 >>> Feb 16 09:38:48 reader kernel: [162289.467071] hdc: possibly failed
16 >>> opcode: 0xa0
17 >>>
18 >>> Feb 16 09:38:48 reader kernel: [162289.467079] ide-atapi: hdc:
19 >>> Strange, packet command initiated yet DRQ isn't asserted
20 >>>
21 >>> When I noticed this output involving the cdrom I wondered if I might
22 >>> have left something in it but that was not the case.
23 >>
24 >> Do you have hal configured to poll your cdrom drive every two seconds, to
25 >> see if a disk is inserted? And if so, is the verbosity logging cranked up
26 >> way higher than it should be?
27 >>
28 >> I haven't personally had to fix this myself (so can't give pointers on
29 >> where to fix it), but it seems to be a common occurrence judging from
30 >> posts I see here and at other forums.
31 >
32 > I do have hald running, but made no special config regarding cdrom
33 > polling. At least not on purpose.
34 >
35 > The messages do appear to be continuous. I will execute a reboot soon
36 > but don't want to right now.
37 >
38 > Why I'm pondering and following this up, is that I experience a
39 > serious freeze after some unspecified amount of uptime. Mouse and
40 > keyboard become unresponsive... and eventually the OS cannot be
41 > accessed at all.
42 >
43 > SSH appears to stop and cannot contact remotely either.
44 >
45 > This began happening quite some time ago... on a different earlier
46 > install. I never could see anything in the logs that gave a clue to
47 > why.
48 >
49 > I created a script that ran from cron. It pinged a remote host, and
50 > logged a unique easily findable string into the log using `logger',
51 > every 5 minutes. With that I was able to narrow down the time frame
52 > of freeze to within the last 5 minutes (of log lines).
53 >
54 > Even then, there was nothing to indicate a problem. This was an OS
55 > that had been running a very long time with upgrade after upgrade.
56 >
57 > Though I hated having to rebuild all the customizations etc, I finally
58 > completely reinstalled from scratch hoping to catch the problem with
59 > the shotgun approach.
60 >
61 > In that earlier OS there were no log messages regarding hdc being
62 > generated (by the way).
63 >
64 > Shortly after completing the new install and a couple of weeks of
65 > getting setup the way I wanted, I began to experience the freezes
66 > again.
67 >
68 > I have caught the freeze in the early stages before completely losing
69 > the network when just mouse and keyboard became unresponsive, was able
70 > to ssh in and noticed that restarting hald held off the freeze for
71 > some (again unspecified) amount of time.
72 >
73 > So cutting the lengthy narrative down a bit, and briefly put, I'm
74 > looking for anything unusual that is causing this. The hdc messages
75 > is the only odd thing I'm seeing.
76 >
77 > Something appears to be jamming up the hal layer somehow, but not
78 > leaving findable tracks. At least not findable by an someone with
79 > many yrs experience with linux but not much real debugging of
80 > complicated problems under his belt.
81
82 I had once similar freezes and effects until I recognized that our rabbit
83 had bitten into an USB cable and the computer got undefined signals on the
84 USB due to contacts of the blank cable lines.
85
86 Try to disconnect any external USB device first and check if the problem
87 persists.
88
89 - Jörg