From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: billk@×××××××××.au
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Screen resolution problem
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 02:21:39
1 On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 10:03:17 +0800
2 William Kenworthy wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 11:13 +1000, Adam Carter wrote:
5 > > Also check out xrandr, run it without parameters to see what modes
6 > > it knows about, then use -s 1280x1024 to set that mode. I have no
7 > > idea how this interacts with the other options, but IIRC when I set
8 > > my old laptop to 1600x1200 in xorg.conf it was ignored and xrandr
9 > > worked and was persistant.
12 > xrandr is part of the problem - it doesnt list the modes that used to
13 > be available (or that both the monitor and videocard have for that
14 > matter), only the ones that xorg *thinks* are available (and it
15 > doesnt seem to think very hard about it), which I am convinced is set
16 > by Alan's "toss of a coin" method.
17
18 Let me phrase the situation a bit differently. xorg tossed its coin
19 and decided that 1024x768 is the best that my Radeon x1200 can do.
20 xrandr is reporting what xorg has already decided, i.e. is a follower,
21 not a leader.