From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Writing a bash script or thinking about it anyway.
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 15:37:52
1 On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 16:51:08 +0200, Alan McKinnon
2 <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
3 wrote:
4 > On Tuesday 22 December 2009 16:21:08 Christian Könitzer wrote:
5 >> a question to b):
6 >> Can you tell me a fs that supports snappshots (I'm planing to set up a
7 >> new server so you can choose a new fs... (now I am using reiserfs)) and
8 >> maybe how to use it (link)? So if you say "or LSM" does this mean I can
9 >> achieve this also woth LVM? How?
10 >> thx...
11 >
12 > None of the traditional filesystems (ext2|3, reiser) support snapshots.
13 > ZFS<
14 > Btrfs do, possibly ext4 also (the last is a hunch only).
15
16 That's basically true. However btrfs is quite experimental still, and I
17 have no serious experience with ZFS, it kind of turns me back the fact that
18 it's a FUSE based fs, though it's certainly possible to use it even for a
19 root system provided that your kernel can load the module at bootup
20 (initrd), I have no idea if there's any downside. I don't have either any
21 notice about snapshotting in ext4 (I remember the plan being discussed but
22 I don't think it has been finally implemented, I'd like to be wrong on this
23 one though).
24
25 > LVM snapshots a volume, not the filesystem on it. So it tracks extents
26 > that
27 > have changed, not individual files. For backup purposes though, volume
28 and
29 > fs
30 > snapshots are equivalent.
31 >
32 > Snapshots with LVM are easy as pie:
33 >
34 > - create a new volume which is a snapshot of an existing one
35 > - mount the snapshot somewhere
36 > - copy,backup,etc as you like. The volume is read-only so you can't
37 break
38 > it
39 > - umount snapshot
40 > - destroy snapshot
41 >
42 > The LVM man pages contain a wealth of data, as does Google and the LVM
43 > documentation at redhat.com
44
45 Yep, just googling for something along the lines of "lvm snapshot backup"
46 should give you enough info to start researching. However, for this to be a
47 possibility you first need to convert your system to use lvm.
50 Jesús Guerrero