From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's with this hald thing and why can't I rip CDs any more?
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 20:07:39
1 On Jan 9, 2008 10:49 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 10:41:16 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 > > Things here are still basically a disaster. I rebooted. No change.
5 > > sound-juicer still only rips the 1st six tracks and then skips the
6 > > last seven. Pretty much the same on every CD I've tried so far. No
7 > > messages in dmesg.
8 >
9 > Have you tried a different ripper? This could be a problem with
10 > sound-juicer, not hal/dbus.
13 I emerged grip but it's not seeing the CD at all. I tried Aqualung but
14 it didn't work either.
15
16 Seeing Dale's note I tried K3b, which I should have thought of before.
17 It worked for the CD that was already in the drive so that was a step
18 forward. When I inserted a new CD it got blocked by Gnome starting
19 Totem automatically. When I closed Totem my hand then K3b was able to
20 rip the second CD. I haven't listened to anything yet but at least the
21 files look about right.
22
23 So, with all of that I am guessing that Totem was somehow blocking
24 sound-juicer. Totem starting automatically when I insert a CD has
25 never happened before. Is that because I turned on hald? If so do I
26 really need hald or can I turn it off? Or maybe I need ivman to help
27 hald do it's work better?
28
29 Of course if there is some Gentoo page on how to run all this stuff
30 correctly that it where I should really start.
31
32 thanks,
33 Mark
34 --