From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] do you USE="minimal" in /etc/make.conf?
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 22:43:55
1 On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 07:14:18 -0800, Grant wrote:
2
3 > I try to run a minimal system in general so I added the minimal USE
4 > flag to /etc/make.conf. The only difference I've noticed so far is
5 > the lack of color in vim. Do you add minimal to /etc/make.conf and
6 > remove it as necessary in package.use or the other way around?
7
8 I read somewhere, can't remember where exactly, that you should not
9 enable this flag globally, and I agree. The effect varies from one
10 package to another, it's not like jpeg, which has predictable and largely
11 consistent effects on all packages that use it. For example, with
12 server/client packages, it usually disables building of the server part,
13 whereas you have already found it does something completely different
14 with vim.
15
16 Check to see what it does on an individual package and then enable it in
17 package.use.
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 Tell me, and I will forget. Show me, and I will remember. Involve me, and
24 I will learn.