From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] What's the position on Chrony?
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 10:53:17
1 I want to run chrony on my servers for their smooth correction of system
2 time. I have a few questions, however.
3
4 1. Is chrony accurate on P4 and AMD chips? Is it really a useful improvement
5 on ntpd? I remember from a few years ago that its developer used to have to
6 change his code every time a new CPU chip appeared.
7
8 2. Chrony doesn't like other programs interfering with its own control of
9 the clock, so I want to remove both ntpd and clock from the startup
10 process. This seems to cause a problem:
11
12 3. How do I substitute chrony for ntp in gentoo's startup scripts? I can
13 remove ntpd easily enough, but if I rc-update del clock it gets put back
14 into the boot run-level on shutting down. If I then move /etc/init.d/clock
15 out of the way and just touch a blank file in its place, I get this:
16
17 $ sudo /etc/init.d/chronyd restart
18 * Caching service dependencies ...
19 * Can't find service 'clock' needed by 'syslog-ng'; continuing...
20 [ ok ]
21 * Stopping chronyd ...
22 [ ok ]
23 * Starting chronyd ...
24 [ ok ]
25
26 It looks as though the baselayout team are assuming too much; or should I
27 just give in and revert to clock and ntpd? Perhaps it just isn't suitable
28 for Gentoo - it wouldn't be the first time that an ebuild had appeared for
29 a new package before it was ready.
32 Rgds
33 Peter
34 --