From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encrypting a hard drive's data. Best method.
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2020 07:37:26
1 On 06/06/2020 21:12, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > To do this I'm just going to store my
3 > keys on the root filesystem so that the systems can be booted without
4 > interaction. Obviously if somebody compromises the files with the
5 > keys they can decrypt my drives, but this means that I just have to
6 > protect a couple of SD cards which contain my root filesystems,
7 > instead of worrying about each individual hard drive. The drives
8 > themselves end up being much more secure, because the password used to
9 > protect each drive is random and long - brute-forcing the password
10 > will be no easier than brute-forcing AES itself. This doesn't protect
11 > me at all if somebody breaks into my house and steals everything.
12
13 On the other hand, if you're always present at boot, stick the keys on a
14 USB that has to be in the laptop when it starts. If that's on your
15 (physical) keyring, chances are it won't be compromised at the same time
16 as the laptop - and hopefully the attacker won't realise it's needed for
17 boot :-)
18
19 (yes I know - security through obscurity is bad as your MAIN defence,
20 but a few layers on top of something secure just makes life more of a
21 pain for an attacker :-)
22
23 Cheers,
24 Wol