From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USE flag 'split-usr' is now global
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2019 22:54:53
1 On 8/6/19 9:54 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > If it's computable it can be done, of course. Therefore it can be done,
3 > currently. I don't think nobody has said it absolutely cannot be done.
4
5 >.<
6
7 So it sounds like it's a question of /how/ compatible / possible it is.
8
9 It seems as if there is enough incompatibility / problems that multiple
10 people are comfortable saying that it can't be done on some level.
11
12 > The thing is:
13 >
14 > 1. How much work implies to get it done.
15 > 2. Who is gonna do said work.
16 >
17 > The answer to 1 is "a lot", since (as someone mentioned in the thread)
18 > it involves changing not only the init (nevermind systemd; *ALL* init
19 > systems), but all applications that may require to use binaries in /usr
20 > before it's mounted.
21 >
22 > The answer to 2 is, effectively, "nobody", since it requires a big
23 > coordinated effort, stepping into the toes of several projects,
24 > significantly augmenting their code complexity for a corner case[1] that
25 > can be trivially be solved with an initramfs, which it just works.
26
27 I don't currently feel like I can give a proper response to this.
28
29 1) I don't have the time to lab this and try things.
30 2) I don't want to further hijack this thread and start discussing what
31 precisely is and is not broken.
32 3) I question — from a place of ignorance — just how much effort there
33 is for #1.
34
35 > Arguing against this trivial (and IMHO, elegant) solution is tilting at
36 > windmills. Specially if it is for ideological reasons instead of
37 > technical ones.
38
39 Please clarify what "this trivial solution" is. Are you referring to
40 initramfs / initrd or the 'split-user' USE flag?
45 Grant. . . .
46 unix || die