From: "Spackman
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] External hard drive and idle activity
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2020 13:51:27
1 On 2020/01/01 at 08:00pm, Dale wrote:
2 > Grant Taylor wrote:
3 > > On 1/1/20 5:09 PM, Dale wrote:
4
5 > > Note:  umount will normally block until buffers are flushed to disk.
6 > >
7 > >> Is it safe to turn it off even tho it is doing whatever it is doing?
8 > >
9 > > I wouldn't.
10 > >
11 > >> Should I wait?
12 > >
13 > > I would.
14 > >
15 > >> Does it matter?
16 > >
17 > > Maybe.
18
19 [snip]
20
21 > If I touch the enclosure and feel it doing something, I leave it on,
22 > just in case.  I actually been wondering about this for a while.
23 > Sometimes it will stop after a couple minutes, sometimes it is still
24 > doing its thing 30 minutes later.  In the case of the first, I was
25 > concerned about files being cached etc.
26
27 I have a similar drive (8TB external. WD, iirc). It did something
28 similar - it would seem to still be in use even after I umounted it -
29 and I wasn't sure if it was okay to unplug (no physical off
30 switch). Somewhere I found this command to shut down the drive:
31
32 udisksctl power-off --block-device /dev/sdx
33
34 I didn't see that command mentioned in the thread yet. I've been using
35 it, after umount, for about 8 months for roughly weekly backups and
36 some misc storage. So far, I've not seen any problems with it. The drive
37 immediately shuts down, and there haven't been any data or performance
38 issues.
39
40 But because no one else has mentioned it, I wonder udisksctl is not the
41 best tool in this case?
45 Chris Spackman chris@××××××××××.com
46
47 ESL Coordinator The Graham Family of Schools
48 ESL Instructor Columbus State Community College
49 Japan Exchange and Teaching Program Wajima, Ishikawa 1995-1998
50 Linux user since 1998 Linux User #137532