From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: whats a good laptop for gentoo these days?
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 16:26:46
1 On 1/9/22 07:49, William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > My MS surface pro4 has died (swelling battery has popped the screen -
3 > known problem) so I am looking for a better replacement. I bought it
4 > new years ago but it only got good Linux support (touchscreen etc.) in
5 > the last couple of years so its been a bit frustrating.
6 >
7 > So the question is - whats a good replacement?  Criteria is good
8 > battery life, can dual boot windows (this is my only windows machine
9 > these days and there are still some cases - Logitech harmony remote
10 > for one) and gentoo with everything working/supported.  I do like the
11 > tablet with detachable physical keyboard design but I mostly use it
12 > with keyboard attached.  And non-microsoft hardware is preferred (the
13 > sp4 failure is a design issue for which MS suffered a class action
14 > lawsuit to get them to honour the warranty - I don't want a repeat)
15 >
16 > BillK
17
18 Do you really need/want dual boot, or would Windows in a VM work?