From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hal and ejected DVD not unmounting
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 21:13:01
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sunday 28 June 2009 22:55:50 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I just push the button on the drive. I have always done it that way.
5 >> At one time the eject thing in the KDE menu wouldn't actually eject. It
6 >> just sat there blinking at me. :/
7 >>
8 >> Should I use the menu and not the button?
11 > I think you should use KDE's eject function, then eject manually if the disc
12 > doesn't come out by itself.
13 >
14 > I also think your expectations are completely reasonable - if hal polls the cd
15 > drive every two seconds to find when a disc is in it and then mount it,
16 > *surely* it should umount the disc when it knows for an absolute fact that the
17 > disc is no longer present. I can't think of a single reason why hal should
18 > every leave a disc mounted that isn't there any more ...
22 Yep, it's sort of like looking at your hand to see if it is still
23 there. If nobody cut it off, why check every two seconds to see if it
24 is still there? Now if you are expecting someone to cut it off, then
25 maybe check to see. Of course, if this happens a lot, you either need
26 mental help or a body guard. I think hal needs mental help myself. I
27 just thought it may be me that needs help, maybe a setting or something.
28
29 This is another thing that doesn't restore my confidence hal. Still on
30 the old xorg.
31
32 Thanks much.
33