From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A Theoretical install Question
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 07:08:27
1 On Dienstag, 22. Mai 2007, burlingk@×××××××××.mil wrote:
2 > > -----Original Message-----
3 > > From: Hemmann, Volker Armin
4 > > [mailto:volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de]
5 > > Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 3:34 PM
6 > > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
7 > > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A Theoretical install Question
8 > >
9 > > On Dienstag, 22. Mai 2007, burlingk@×××××××××.mil wrote:
10 > > > Ok, Here goes...
11 > > >
12 > > >
13 > > > How large is the package archive for gentoo, assuming a
14 > >
15 > > full copy of
16 > >
17 > > > the portage tree, and all of the source tarballs in the distfiles
18 > > > directory of the average server?
19 > >
20 > > dunno, but huge.
21 >
22 > <snip>
23 >
24 > > you will waste a lot of bandwidth and diskspace. The mirror
25 > > might hate you for
26 > > it. You will have lots and lots of packages like packageX.1.1,
27 > > packageX.1.1.0, packageX.1.1.1....
28 > > --
29 > > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
30 >
31 > I think that a better option may be to decide which software I want,
32 > and use emerge -ef <package> on each of the big packages to get just
33 > what I need. Maybe setting up a stage three install, with just the
34 > kernel, boot loader, and portage and using 'emerge -ef world' first
35 > might have the desired effect as far as getting the base system first.
36 >
37 > :-)
38 >
39 > That would also let me make sure that I have an up to date portage tree,
40 > and just the files I need and maybe a few more. ^^;;
41 >
42 > Does that sound better, and less likely to piss off the mirrors? :P
43
44 yes ;)
45
46 but why not set 'parallel-fetch' in your make.conf? That way portage should
47 download packages, while compiling?
48 --
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list