From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI specification
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 00:25:19
1 On Friday 11 Nov 2011 21:45:08 James wrote:
2 > Here is a quick description of how Redmond
3 > intends to taint the bios on new products:
4 >
5 > http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-heavyweights-develop-secure-boot-
6 > strategy
7
8 This I believe is on the cards for MSWindows 8 onwards.
11 > So, recently I took a live-dvd-11.2 into Costco to check out a new
12 > HP laptop (DV7-6178US). It would not boot the DVD. How
13 > can I research if the UEFI bios is the issue? In the past the
14 > live gentoo dvds have booted up most every (new) laptop I have tested.
15
16 I suggest you try another latest version LiveCD, e.g. Knoppix, or SysrescueCD,
17 or see if there is a way of getting up some boot menu that gives you the
18 option to select the LiveCD?
19
20 Someone who has experience with UEFI hopefully should be able to chime in here
21 - there's AppleMac users frequenting this list too.
24 > Sure I can purchase the laptop, bring it home and hack on
25 > it, but, it would be much more straight forward if there
26 > was a list of UEFI infected computers somewhere. (any lists?)
27
28 I would not (but it's your money and your time of course).
29
30 Instead I would complain to the shop - i.e. "why is this laptop boot menu not
31 available to the user?" and perhaps HP themselves. You are in the USA after
32 all and customer service is paramount.
35 > I do not want to waste my time on a laptop that has this
36 > MS tainted bios. Methods and ideas to flush this out, before
37 > purchase are most welcome? Is it possible that some windows 7
38 > laptops have the UEFI bios?
39
40 UEFI bios does not necessarily equal secure boot, at least not yet.
43 > I usually prefer a dual boot laptop, with doz and gentoo, but
44 > that looks like a fading option these days.....?
45
46 Let's hope not! RHL & Canonical must be working on making sure that OEMs or
47 MoBo manufacturers address this anti-competitive practice from Microsoft.
50 Regards,
51 Mick