From: Bruce Hill <bruce@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Correcting some misconceptions (was: What magic does portage use?)
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 04:16:14
1 On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 06:56:00PM -0600, Leslie Turriff wrote:
2 > As a 30-year veteran of the IBM mainframe programming environment, I can say
3 > with authority that most of the enterprises that use them for
4 > mission-critical business applications (banking, stock-brokerage, etc.) are
5 > running systems that are updated frequently (sometimes daily) and are fully
6 > capable of being shut down and restarted (on purpose :-D ). Yes, some of
7 > them are front-ended with Linux servers; mainframe systems are not well
8 > designed for managing dynamic web traffic, although systems that do not have
9 > to support very high-volume workflows can do it themselves. The last system
10 > that I worked on was only shut down and restarted twice per year, because 90%
11 > of maintenance could be done while it was running (just like Linux), and
12 > because it was not a business-critical system, it was only required to be
13 > available 99.95% of the time. :-)
14 >
15 > The banking and brokerage systems that I first referred to use a more robust
16 > configuration than we did, which is capable of providing services 100% of the
17 > time, much like a Linux cluster system does. IBM calls the
18 > configuration "Parallel Sysplex." Here's an excerpt of their technical
19 > description, from
20 > <http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/advantages/pso/sysover.html>:
21 >
22 > 'This "shared data" (as opposed to "shared nothing") approach enables
23 > workloads to be dynamically balanced across all servers in the Parallel
24 > Sysplex cluster. This approach allows critical business applications to take
25 > advantage of the aggregate capacity of multiple servers to help ensure
26 > maximum system throughput and performance during peak processing periods. In
27 > the event of a hardware or software outage, either planned or unplanned,
28 > workloads can be dynamically redirected to available servers thus providing
29 > near continuous application availability.
30 > Another significant and unique advantage of using Parallel Sysplex technology
31 > is the ability to perform hardware and software maintenance and installations
32 > in a nondisruptive manner. Through data sharing and dynamic workload
33 > management, servers can be dynamically removed from or added to the cluster
34 > allowing installation and maintenance activities to be performed while the
35 > remaining systems continue to process work. Furthermore, by adhering to IBM's
36 > software and hardware coexistence policy, software and/or hardware upgrades
37 > can be introduced one system at a time. This capability allows customers to
38 > roll changes through systems at a pace that makes sense for their business.
39 > The ability to perform rolling hardware and software maintenance in a
40 > nondisruptive manner allows business to implement critical business function
41 > and react to rapid growth without affecting customer availability.'
42 >
43 > Respectfully,
44 >
45 > Leslie
46
47 Leslie,
48
49 I appreciate you addressing the previous FUD in such a professional manner.
50 --
51 "Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the
52 lesson afterward. But properly learned, the lesson forever changes
53 the man."