From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Horrible English
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 09:25:01
1 On 11/05/2017 02:09, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 10 May 2017 23:33:37 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> I you read -dev, you could have replied to the original with a correct
5 >> fix :-)
6 >
7 > No good. I can't read C. I gave up in the '80s and reverted to assembler.
8 >
9 >> The author isn't English mother-tongue btw [1]
10 >
11 > Maybe not, but he's only following what the typical American is doing.
12 >
13 >>> (By way of explanation, 35 years ago I was made the documentation
14 >>> manager of a 200-man-year software project. Ever since then I've been
15 >>> unable to read anything at all without the eye of an editor - it's
16 >>> ruined my enjoyment of everything I read. There's no hope any longer.)
17 >>
18 >> Oh noes. So you can't enjoy Pratchett? poor, poor you <shudder> :-)
19 >
20 > Sadness.
21 >
22 >> [1] Living in a country with 11 (yes, eleven!) official languages, all
23 >> considered legally valid for purposes of government with equal status, I
24 >> had to let go of English bias and accept that languages get mangled. All
25 >> the time.
26 >
27 > I sympathise. I couldn't live in a place like that.
28 >
29 >> Except for this new meaning for "revert". can't bring myself to accept
30 >> that one, too much like gouging out eyeballs with a blunt spoon.
31 >
32 > Eh? What meaning is that? I seem to have missed it.
35 In Africa, "revert" has become synonymous with "reply".
36
37 Causes no end of confusion when the firewall admin replies to a ticket
38 saying he'll do it and revert.
41 Alan McKinnon
42 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com