From: deface <deface@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Error booting new kernel
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 14:44:14
1 Marko Kocić wrote:
2 > I have a quastion related to vanilla-sources kernel.
3 >
4 > After upgrading vanilla-sources from 2.6.26 to 2.6.28_rc2 I am not
5 > able to boot anymore. I tried playing with menuconfig couple of times,
6 > but couldn't find what I have to change in order to make it work
7 > again.
8 >
9 > The error message while booting is like this:
10 >
11 > Using IPI shortcut mode
12 > BIOS EDD facility v 0.16 2004-Jul-25 1 devices found
13 > VFS: Cannot open root device "307" on unknown-block(3,7)
14 > Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
15 > partitions:
16 > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-
17 > block(3,7)
20 > Note that in my lilo.conf I have root=/dev/hda7 line for all kernels.
21 >
22 > Thanks for any suggestion,
23 > Marko
26 The 2 main things to look for are File System support & chipset. did you
27 copy your
28 old .config and run a make oldconfig ? Shouldn't have been much to
29 modify, if any.
30
31 deface