From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Disappointing USB3 performance
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 19:59:36
1 On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 12:28 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I just bought an add-on USB3 adapter and outboard USB3/sata docking
3 > station, and I've been comparing the performance with my old e-sata
4 > outboard docking station.  Not so good :(
5
6 I think, generally speaking, a SATA drive plugged into a SATA port
7 will always be the fastest possible connection. By using a USB adapter
8 you're adding an additional layer of overhead to the process (the
9 adapter translating between USB and SATA, plus any loss of
10 functionality due to incompatible features like Nikos mentioned).
11
12 But if you're wonder what the speed difference should be (if the
13 difference you're seeing is normal or not) I can't say... I can say
14 USB3 is faster than USB2 for sure, but I haven't personally compared
15 to eSATA. :)