From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Kernel upgrading and linux symlink
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 16:55:22
1 Looking at the kernel upgrade pages at
2 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-upgrade.xml
3
4 Its a bit confusing about the symlink creation. I've wondered about
5 it a few times.
6
7 At the top, you're told how to get the sources and then a discussion
8 of the symlink follows.
9
10 It appears you are expected to change the symlink to the newly
11 installed sources.
12
13 But then it says:
14 4. Updating the /usr/src/linux symbolic link
15
16 "Gentoo requires that the /usr/src/linux symbolic link points to the
17 sources of the kernel you are running."
18
19 So if gentoo `requires' the symlink to point to the running kernel
20 why are we changing it to the newly installed but not yet compiled or
21 started kernel?
22
23 And in fact does it really matter if its pointing at the newly
24 installed or actual running kernel, when kernel compiling operations
25 take place?