From: John Myers <electronerd@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE flags: mmx sse sse2
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 22:10:20
1 On Friday 13 January 2006 07:45, Francesco Riosa wrote:
2 > Tom Smith wrote:
3 > > Well, if they're /not/ mutually exclusive, another question that comes
4 > > up is...
5 > >
6 > > If a program is compiled with sse or sse2 support on a Pentium II, will
7 > > the program run slower than it otherwise would? (Some of the programs I
8 > > have are compiled and then distributed to servers with different
9 > > CPUs--P-IIs and P-IVs, mainly.)
10 >
11 > speaking of manually added options to CFLAGS*, not of use flags
12 >
13 > The only place where mathematics count on a server is encryption ?
14 > (notice the question mark)
15 > Mayor part of server software use integer math that are not so enhanced
16 > by optimizations.
17 > The code produced is less stable, and difficult to debug, this bring to the
18 > question: why take the risk ?
19 actually, mmx (MultiMedia eXtensions) , sse and sse2 instructions are designed
20 primarily for multimedia and gaming type applications, which _do_ use
21 floating-point math, and AFAIK, encryption is going to be all-integer too
22 (floating-point math is not perfectly precise)
23
24 And, like I said earlier, if you put a program with an sse or sse2 instruction
25 on a PII, the program will most likely spontaneously abort when it tries to
26 execute the unsupported instruction.
27 --
28 #
29 # electronerd, the electronerdian from electronerdia
30 #