From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mozilla firefox 1.5 and gnome
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 23:05:31
1 Trenton Adams schreef:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > I'm just curious about something. I installed mozilla-firefox-bin,
5 > and I got what I *thought* was the gnome open/save dialog. And I
6 > absolutely I can't stand that thing. So, I decided to compile
7 > mozilla-firefox for myself, as I have "-gnome" in my use flags. Well
8 > for some reason, I still have that open/save dialog.
9 >
10 > So, is that a gnome open/save dialog, or is it something else?
11
12 Yes, as far as I know, it is (though I myself do have GNOME installed).
13
14 Firefox depends on gtk:
15 (from www.gentoo-portage.com ; the compile-it-yourself version used for
16 clarity, since even the bin has to be originally compiled by someone):
19 Runtime Dependencies
20 mozilla-firefox-1.5-r9
21
22 | app-arch/unzip
23 | app-arch/zip
24 | dev-libs/expat
25 | >= dev-libs/glib - 2.8.2
26 | >= dev-libs/libIDL - 0.8.0
27 | >= media-libs/jpeg - 6b
28 | >= media-libs/libmng - 1.0.0
29 | >= media-libs/libpng - 1.2.1
30 | >= sys-libs/zlib - 1.1.4
31 | >= www-client/mozilla-launcher - 1.42
32 | >= www-client/mozilla-launcher - 1.39
33 | ! x11-base/xorg-x11 - 6.7.0-r2
34 | >= x11-libs/cairo - 1.0.0
35 ==> >= x11-libs/gtk+ - 2.8.6
36 | x11-libs/libXmu
37 | x11-libs/libXmu
38 | x11-libs/libXrender
39 | x11-libs/libXrender
40 | x11-libs/libXt
41 | x11-libs/libXt
42 | >= x11-libs/pango - 1.10.1
43 | gnome >= gnome-base/gnome-vfs - 2.3.5
44 | virtual/x11
45 | virtual/x11
46 | java virtual/jre
49 Firefox is a GTK application, so it uses the GTK toolkit (as opposed to
50 the QT toolkit, which KDE uses).
51
52 GNOME is a GTK-based DE (as opposed to KDE which is QT-based).
53
54 So the reason why the open/save dialogs are the same is because they use
55 the same resources (GTK settings, many of which can be set in GNOME).
56
57 I can't say if the "extra features" that I have because I have GNOME
58 installed are present in your open/save dialog (bookmarked folders, for
59 example).
62 > Is there going to be a way of NOT making it the standard open/save
63 > dialog when firefox 1.5 gets unmasked?
64
65 Masking or unmasking is not going to change the source code, which
66 depends on GTK. Only upstream can recode the program with a different
67 toolkit. And that seems unlikely to happen, since it hasn't happened yet
68 (and if the toolset was going to change, it probably would have before
69 1.0, not suddenly now when the release is finally stable enough to be
70 picking up steam fast in the popularity stakes).
71
72 Holly
73 --
74 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list