From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Permissions of files in /sys/
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 20:47:29
1 On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 8:29 AM, Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'd like to make the file /sys/class/backlight/asus-laptop/brightness
3 > writeable for users, so that I don't need to be root anymore to change
4 > the brightness.
5 >
6 > Of course I can chown or chmod ot in local.start but I'm asking if there
7 > is a cleaner way.
8
9 I guess you need to use udevinfo to get the important information
10 about /sys/class/backlight/asus-laptop/brightness and then write up a
11 rule, slap it into a file in /etc/udev/rules.d/ and enjoy your new
12 permissions. :) I don't have that device on my system so I can't
13 really suggest anything more specific.
14
15 Here's a udev rules HOWTO that might help:
16
17 http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html
18
19 (specifically "Controlling permissions and ownership")
20
21 Good luck :)
22 Paul