From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vBulletin site causes Konqueror to hang
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 23:02:56
1 On Wednesday 03 March 2010 00:48:36 Mick wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 02 March 2010 20:37:15 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > There's a vBulletin forum I frequent:
6 > >
7 > > http://forum.thinkbike.co.za
8 > >
9 > > and my usual browser is Konqueror (just because kparts makes it so
10 > > convenient). Every so often, with no pattern I can find, this site hangs
11 > > Konqueror - cpu goes to 100% and the browser stays unresponsive.
12 > >
13 > > I've tried various tricks to see what is going on when it does this,
14 > >
15 > > including strace, to no avail. I have a hunch this started when I
16 > >
17 > > installed konq- plugins, I have these enabled:
18 > > Adblock
19 > > bookmarklets
20 > > Crashes Monitor
21 > > KTHML settings
22 > > Konqueror feed icon
23 > > Search bar
24 > > translate
25 > > User Agent Changer
26 > > Web Archiver
27 > >
28 > > My next step is to start the laborious process of disabling them one by
29 > > one
30 > >
31 > > to see if it makes a difference. Meanwhile, does anyone have suggestions
32 > > for clever trouble-shooting techniques to apply here?
33 > >
34 > > I doubt anyone will have a solution to hand, just some pointers to likely
35 > > things to check is all I'm after at this stage.
36 >
37 > Some of the animated gifs can start eating up resources. Over-elaborate
38 > avatars can also have the same effect and when people start using both gifs
39 > and flash animations the there may be a combination that causes the
40 > problems you describe. Anyway, just an idea. Try it with an old machine
41 > and see if the symptoms get worse/sooner.
42
43 That's worth persuing. I thought of two things that triggers the crash, it's
44 just not predictable:
45
46 1. Edit a reply and click "Post reply"
47 2. Click on the next page.
48
49 It's always one of those two things just before a freeze, which seems
50 significant.
53 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com