From: Beau Henderson <beau@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] changing console font
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 23:38:50
1 Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
2 > 2009/11/6 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
3 >
4 >> I think what he is asking is this, how can we know what they look like
5 >> BEFORE we change it? I looked in the directory and I don't recognize
6 >> most of the fonts. Some of them doesn't make sense as far as the name.
7 >> I even wonder if some of them are not even English. I would hate to set
8 >> that to something and then not be able to read it.
9 >>
10 >> Could one do a google image search? o_O
11 >
12 > He asked if there is a way to test/preview the font without rebooting.
13 > So using the init script is the solution.
14 >
15 > Maybe playing around with setfont manually can help to test the fonts
16 > without setting them globally, this would avoid messing things up.
19 The setfont command seems to do the job nicely. If ctrl + f1-6 to another TTY and experiment with
20 set font, it should set the font permanently. Also there are *.README files in the consolefonts
21 directory, worth a read.
24 Beau Henderson