From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] ISDN problems
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 23:03:51
1 Hi there!
2
3 I am having big trouble setting up ISDN. I'm a long-time ISDN user, I need
4 this for connecting to some remote systems that do not have an internet
5 connection. I always used my server for this, but due to a sudden
6 breakdown of phone+dsl on that machine (which is far away, I have no
7 physical access), I tried setting up ISDN on my machine here. BTW, all
8 machines on which I have set up ISDN have AVM Fritz PCI cards.
9
10 Trouble, big trouble. Normally, it should be just a matter of emerging
11 fcpci for the fcpci.ko kernel module, emerge capi4k-utils, edit a line in
12 /etc/capi.conf to define my card, then create a little config in
13 /etc/ppp/peers, and set the PAP login data in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets. But
14 that does not work now.
15
16 net-dialup/fcpci does not compile, but I found a patch on bugs.gentoo.org,
17 and the module seems to load file. Apart from a message ("IRQ 20/fcpci:
18 IRQF_DISABLED is not guaranteed on shared IRQs"), but I saw thsi in some
19 other howtos, so it's probably not a problem.
20
21 But /etc/init.d/capi fails to start, when calling 'capiinit activate':
22 ERROR: cannot open /dev/capi20 nor /dev/isdn/capi20 - No such device or
23 address (6)
24
25 This file is existing:
26 crw------- 1 root root 191, 20 22. Jun 23:35 /dev/capi20
27
28 Changing permissions does not help.
29
30 I also tried the other kernel modules, net-dialup/fritzcapi, but that does
31 not build either - it does not find linux/auconf.h. Huh? I have this in
32 /usr/lib64/klibc/include/ only. On other Gentoo systems, this should be in
33 the kernel's include directory. Maybe 2.6.33 is too new for that?
34
35 Then I tried mISDN, and guess what, it also does not compile at all. There
36 is a bug report (#265581), but its over a year old without progress.
37
38 So I downloaded mISDN and built it according to http://www.misdn.org/,
39 which seemed to work. But I get the same capi error. So it's probably not
40 a problem with the ISDN card kernel driver, but with the CAPI setup.
41
42 I'm out of ideas. What's wrong with /dev/capi20?
43
44 Wonko