From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OS inaccessable after brief uptime in X
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 20:55:12
1 I keep having a problem where the OS becomes inaccessable after
2 running in X for a while. I haven't noticed a time pattern yet but it
3 doesn't take long sometimes.
4
5 Today I started from an OFF machine, booted up, started X did a few
6 things A few minutes later I attempted to login via ssh from a remote
7 laptop down stairs. The os is inaccessable via ssh, or port 25 (its
8 also a mailhup for home lan).
9
10 Went back to the actual machine and it is inaccessable from console as
11 well.
12
13 It's happened repeatedly now for a week or two, but I've been busy with
14 other stuff, and if I need it running I've just left it in console
15 mode.
16
17 The problem apparently does not occur in console mode.
18
19 I see no problem when starting X and I see nothing in
20 /var/log/messages that gives a clue about what is happening.
21
22 I'm running fairly up to date Desktop profile on kernel:
23
24 (uname -a)
25 Linux reader 2.6.31-gentoo-r4_rdr-5 #6 SMP
26 Wed Nov 4 09:19:17 CST 2009 i686 Intel(R) Celeron(R)
27 CPU 3.06GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
28
29 I'm not sure how to track down the problem since I'm not seeing any
30 give away clues in /var/log/messages
31
32 So far, once the lockup has happened it appears there is no way in
33 other than the reboot switch.