From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: browser advice
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 00:54:57
1 > Another vote for Opera here. I'm running 9.02 at home.
2 > A few observations from my set-up, although they could be as much to do
3 > me having not got something else in my configuration right ...
4
5 And another strong Opera vote here :-)
9 > 1) This version of Opera really seems to struggle with "heavy" pages.
10 > The whole app slows down, no response to clicks etc, until the page has
11 > fully rendered. Example of affected page:
12 > http://funds.ft.com/funds/searchFund.do?symb=AQSTG&type=F1
13 >
14 > 2) Opera infrequently causes my system to hang completely. I can't ctrl
15 > +alt+F1 to a terminal screen, I can ctrl+alt+backspace to kill X, I
16 > can't do anything. It's a hard reboot of the box. Admittedly I'm
17 > slightly impatient, but I give it 10 secs before hitting reset,
18 > sometimes longer. I can't categorically state that it's Opera, but I've
19 > a very strong suspicion. Especially given that I basically use an
20 > xterm, sylpheed and opera 95% of the time.
21
22 Not had these issues ....... sorry.
25 > 3) Javascript seems fairly broken in Opera - but that could be my fault
26 > for not setting something up properly.
27
28 JS works great here - perhaps reemerge everything?
31 > 4) Some pages just don't render properly in Opera and I have occasion
32 > to fall back to firefox. As another poster said, it's often badly
33 > designed banking sites.
34
35 Yep ..... So I changed banks (earlier bank wanted I.E.). I tell them that
36 if they want my business, they'll get their site to work on Linux/Opera.
37 Present bank got it to work fine (not perfect rendition - but functional).
40 > 5) Overall though, IMO Opera is a nicer browser to use than firefox.
41 > Tabbed browsing is implemented in a more effective fashion. Keyboard
42 > shortcuts are lovely, eg F2 to bring a dialog for typing a URL, which
43 > can be configured to fire up a new tab is very nice. Shift+F2 allows
44 > you to have a one key shortcut for favourite bookmarks (again firing
45 > up a new tab). Sidebar is far more effective in Opera. Obviously
46 > personal preference, but I much prefer it.
49 IMHO, Opera loads MUCH faster, and surfs much faster as well. ALSO, it is
50 easy to put Opera in a Chroot Jail; FF is a PITA to put into a jail.
51
52 Final note is that most FF users seem to have never tried Opera; Most
53 Opera users have tried FF - gotten it to work adequately - and chosen
54 Opera.
58 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list