From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: installation failure
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 15:36:45
1 Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
2 > On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 08:03:10PM +0700, jfmxl wrote:
3 >> It's pretty clear that you what you think I need to know about gentoo is
4 >> that its not for me because I don;t know what I'm doing and cannot think
5 >> logically ... Ill give it another shot, but I won't stick around on this
6 >> damn list any longer.
7 >>
8 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
9 >>> All of which highlights something you need to know about Gentoo: arund
10 >>> here, we start by assuming you know what you are doing mostly and can
11 >>> think logically.
12 > Alan is *not* saying that Gentoo is not for you; he is merely saying
13 > that running Gentoo requires a decent amount of knowledge. For example,
14 > I ran Ubuntu for 2-3 years, then ArchLinux for 1-2 years, and now I run
15 > Gentoo.
16 >
17 > If you have never manually formatted a disk, installed a kernel, and
18 > installed grub, you can expect to fail the first time around. Like Alan
19 > also said, since you are doing this in Qemu, you should not be using an
20 > initrd and, in my opinion, you should just have a single MBR partition
21 > as it is very simple.
22 >
23 > Alec
28 I wouldn't recommend Gentoo to someone who has never even run Linux
29 before or been under the hood so to speak. That would be cruel. Like
30 you, I used Mandrake for a while before I tried Gentoo. It took me
31 several times to get my install done right. Heck, it took me 3 or 4
32 times just to get a kernel that would boot. Then several more redos to
33 get everything to work right and that was before USB etc was what it is
34 now. The kernel was a lot simpler back then, I think.
35
36 As was said in recent discussion about having a installer, the install
37 process teaches a lot. Gentoo is not a hand holding distro. Gentoo has
38 a learning curve and requires patience. If a person isn't able to
39 handle those two things, they won't like Gentoo. If a person wants
40 something that is easy and noob friendly, Gentoo isn't what they want.
41 Gentoo is what a person makes of it and Gentoo pretty much forces you to
42 make it what it is. It certainly isn't point and click distro which is
43 why I'm not real big on this installer thing. I can see some cases for
44 it when installing say to 50 identical servers or something but just not
45 for a single machine or even someone new to Gentoo. Heck, I wish a
46 stage 1 install was supported. I think I'd give it a shot if I could.
47
48 Dale
49