From: Joseph <syscon@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] setting "using_dma" on a BenQ DVD/RW drive
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:52:41
1 I'm starting to believe that it has something to do with some option in
2 the kernel that is not enabled.
3 I just swap the CD/RW Plextor from the machine that is working OK on
4 kernel 2.6.11 (where DMA is enabled and everything is working, CD/RW,
5 except eject - but that is another story) into a new New Machine on
6 kernel-2.6.12
7
8 Anyhow, I just put the Plextor CD/RW into my new machine and the DMA was
9 not not enabled: hdparm /dev/hdc for plextor on working machine.
10 /dev/hdc:
11 IO_support = 1 (32-bit)
12 unmaskirq = 1 (on)
13 using_dma = 1 (on)
14 keepsettings = 0 (off)
15 readonly = 0 (off)
16 readahead = 256 (on)
17
18 hdparm for plextor on new machine:
19
20 /dev/hdd:
21 IO_support = 0 (16-bit)
22 unmaskirq = 0 (off)
23 using_dma = 0 (off)
24 keepsettings = 0 (off)
25 readonly = 0 (off)
26 readahead = 256 (on)
27
28 So, I strongly believe it has to do with some setting in the kernel or
29 diver.
30
31 Another interesting thing is that lshw is not even listing CDROM present
32 in a new machine for both drives: BenQ and Plextor, even though kernel
33 detects them correctly.
34 I did not put BenQ Writer into working machine, I'll try to analyze both
35 kernel settings first, to see what I'm missing.
38 #Joseph
39
40 > > This makes it more likely that the problem is lack of support for your
41 > > IDE chipset in your kernel.
42 >
43 > Joseph,
44 >
45 > Please post *ALL* of the output of a dmesg and lspci-v command.
46 > I too believe chipset issues are most likely the problem.
47 >
48 > I am at present fighting a similar problem with a 915GM.
49 >
50 > --
51 > Regards,
52 > Ray