From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dma_intr errors on heavy writes -- cause for concern?
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 08:20:21
1 On 10/31/06, Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > > So my guess is that your filesystem is getting confused under load,
3 > > and trying to access stuff that is beyond the end of your raid array.
4 > > So, which fs and kernel version?
5 >
6 > oops, I was mistake, I forgot that when I re-arrange my disks my RAID10 is partly using hda/hdc.
7 >
8 > Linux version 2.6.17-gentoo-r7 (root@db_server01)
9 > (gcc version 4.1.1 (Gentoo 4.1.1)) #8 Sun Oct 8 20:28:34 PDT 2006
10 >
11 > md4 : active raid10 hdg1[3] hde1[2] hdc1[1] hda1[0]
12 > 586098688 blocks 1024K chunks 2 near-copies [4/4] [UUUU]
13
14 Ok well this sort of changes things for me. I would start to suspect
15 hardware...particularly any hardware that is specific to hda/hdc, and
16 particularly the cables (since you mentioned "re-arranging" things).
17 Remember that UDMA cables are really sensitive to length (really must
18 be less than 18 inches long), and damage.
19
20 One thing you could try is move the disks around. Linux software raid
21 is pretty tolerant to those kinds of changes, so it should be safe to
22 exchange hdc and hdg, for example. If the problem follows the hda
23 drive to hdg, then you know you have a drive about to fail. If it now
24 happens with a different drive on hda, then cable, motherboard, or RAM
25 issues have to be suspected.
26
27 -Richard
28 --