From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Which USB device on which controller?
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 18:41:11
1 >>>>>> Sounds like it's a 1.1 device to me.
2 >>>>>
3 >>>>> Yep, that's what it sounds like to me too.
4 >>>>>
5 >>>>> Dale
6 >>>>
7 >>>> But that's OK isn't it?  I don't need 2.0 speeds between each webcam
8 >>>> and the controller, I just need the increased overall bandwidth of a
9 >>>> 2.0 controller so one of the 1.1 webcams doesn't use all of it.
10 >>>
11 >>> The 2.0 controller doesn't _have_ increased bandwith if it's
12 >>> talking to 1.1 devices.  In that case, the 2.0 controller is
13 >>> transferring data at the same speed as a 1.1 controller.
14 >>
15 >> I thought the total bandwidth available for a controller was different
16 >> than the bandwidth at which it communicates with one device.  You're
17 >> saying any 1.1 device that uses 12 mbit/s will 100% monopolize a 2.0
18 >> controller so no other devices can function?
21 > Yes. USB is not like 1394/Firewire. Firewire will increase and
22 > decrease bandwidth as different devices take control of the bus. There
23 > is negotiation between devices and the device that owns the bus
24 > controls how the bus is used.
25 >
26 > With USB a 1.1 device on the bus causes the 2.0 controller to operate
27 > at 1.1 speed so there is only 12Mb/S on that bus once you plug the 1.1
28 > web cam in.
29 >
30 >> Taking a different approach, since I have 2 USB controllers (EHCIx1,
31 >> OHCIx1) why can't I operate one webcam on one controller and one
32 >> webcam on the other controller so they can both function?
35 > If the hardware is working correctly, if the drivers are independent,
36 > and IF IF IF the two physical ports you chose are actually going to
37 > completely different controllers then you can. I do this. This sort of
38 > thing becomes an issue with USB when you make a mistake an plug an old
39 > USB mouse or keyboard into the wrong physical port and bring your 2.0
40 > bus speed down to 1.1 bandwidth.
41 >
42 > Over and out,
43 > Mark
44
45 Thanks everyone. Sounds like I need another USB controller or 2.0 webcams.
46
47 - Grant
50 >> - Grant
51 >>
52 >>>> I get the feeling I have a misconception somewhere along the
53 >>>> line here. Could someone straighten me out?
54 >>>
55 >>> A Corvette going 3MPH will get to the finish line at exactly
56 >>> the same time as a 4-year-old kid on a tricycle going 3MPH.  It
57 >>> doesn't matter what the controller is capable of -- it matters
58 >>> what speed it's actually talking.
59 >>>
60 >>> --
61 >>> Grant