From: Vlad Dogaru <ddvlad@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Uninstalling KDE packages
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 07:38:46
On 1/30/07, Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na> wrote:
> On 29 January 2007 22:46, Vlad Dogaru wrote: > > > after some suggestions from the list I finally emerged KDE to give it > > another try. Even with 256 MiB of RAM, it works quite acceptably, save > > for the startup time. > > Two things to improve startup: > > Prelink your whole system. "prelink -avmRf" should do. It will run for quite > some time but applications will start faster afterwards. You have to repeat > it after each major emerge session. > > Make sure that > Preloader=/usr/kde/3.5/bin/preloadkde > is set in /usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/kdmrc > > > > However, I notice it has installed all sorts of > > marginally useful and ultimately resource consuming software such as > > KWallet. > > You can as well simply switch it of: > Control Center->Security & Privacy->KDE Wallet > > > Now, I realise the risks of keeping passwords scattered all > > around (sometimes even unencrypted), but in my environment it's not > > that great a priority. > > > > I would like to know if unmerging KWallet (also the eduitainment suite > > and possibly even Kopette and Konqueror) is safe. How can I tell for > > other packages? Is emerge --unmerge enough or do other measures have > > to be taken? Also, in the case of a fresh install, how can I choose > > what KDE installs? Do I have to run emerge kde, or would kdelibs, > > kdebase, etc (along with their dependencies of course) suffice? > > You need to emerge kdelibs and kdebase. Afterwards you can emerge single > applications.
Hi everyone, I did a monolithic KDE install and that is why uninstalling individual components is not easy. However, the install has served its purpose -- I only wanted to see common pitfalls in installing KDE, for when I do a complete system reinstall (possibly even changing hardware). Next time I will do a split ebuild install and carefully select what I need. Thanks for the tips, Vlad -- gentoo-user@g.o mailing list