From: Vlad Dogaru <ddvlad@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Uninstalling KDE packages
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 07:38:46
1 On 1/30/07, Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na> wrote:
2 > On 29 January 2007 22:46, Vlad Dogaru wrote:
3 >
4 > > after some suggestions from the list I finally emerged KDE to give it
5 > > another try. Even with 256 MiB of RAM, it works quite acceptably, save
6 > > for the startup time.
7 >
8 > Two things to improve startup:
9 >
10 > Prelink your whole system. "prelink -avmRf" should do. It will run for quite
11 > some time but applications will start faster afterwards. You have to repeat
12 > it after each major emerge session.
13 >
14 > Make sure that
15 > Preloader=/usr/kde/3.5/bin/preloadkde
16 > is set in /usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
19 > > However, I notice it has installed all sorts of
20 > > marginally useful and ultimately resource consuming software such as
21 > > KWallet.
22 >
23 > You can as well simply switch it of:
24 > Control Center->Security & Privacy->KDE Wallet
25 >
26 > > Now, I realise the risks of keeping passwords scattered all
27 > > around (sometimes even unencrypted), but in my environment it's not
28 > > that great a priority.
29 > >
30 > > I would like to know if unmerging KWallet (also the eduitainment suite
31 > > and possibly even Kopette and Konqueror) is safe. How can I tell for
32 > > other packages? Is emerge --unmerge enough or do other measures have
33 > > to be taken? Also, in the case of a fresh install, how can I choose
34 > > what KDE installs? Do I have to run emerge kde, or would kdelibs,
35 > > kdebase, etc (along with their dependencies of course) suffice?
36 >
37 > You need to emerge kdelibs and kdebase. Afterwards you can emerge single
38 > applications.
39
40 Hi everyone,
41
42 I did a monolithic KDE install and that is why uninstalling individual
43 components is not easy. However, the install has served its purpose --
44 I only wanted to see common pitfalls in installing KDE, for when I do
45 a complete system reinstall (possibly even changing hardware). Next
46 time I will do a split ebuild install and carefully select what I
47 need.
48
49 Thanks for the tips,
50 Vlad