From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xorg-x11 7.0 or 6.8. What of then is better ?
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 03:08:37
1 On 5/4/06, Allan Spagnol Comar <allan.comar@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi list,
3 >
4 > I am instaling a new gentoo box with x86, and I have a doubt about
5 > instaling xorg, I know that 7.0 is masked but almost getting stable,
6 > and I know that migrating from one another is a little traumatic, so
7 > here is my question, I got a ATI radeon x300 video board on a fast AMD
8 > processor with 1GB of RAM, should I install 7.0 from begin or should I
9 > put 6.8 first and wait to 7.0 go stable ?
10
11 This is the same as asking: "Will I have problems with the testing
12 tree?" And there's no real answers. I know at least a dozen people
13 running ~arch with no problems AT ALL (I stick with the stable), but
14 in the other hand we see everyday people complaining about problems
15 with the testing tree and if you go to bugzilla you'll find out that
16 testing is really for testing in some cases (but not all of them).
17
18 If its still testing, its because there are issues OR it hasn't been
19 tested long enough to declare it stable. So, its up to you decide
20 wether you want it or not. I got Xorg 7 when it was still hard masked
21 FOR A GOOD REASON (my chipset was better supported). But at work I use
22 an nvidia card, and I'm still at the 6.8 series. Do you have good
23 reasons? If not, wait for it to get stable, this MAY save you some
24 trouble. The real question here is: "If it ain't broke, why fix it?"
25 Specially cause the "fix" may "break" it... ;)
26
27 Anyway, It's just MHO.
30 > thanks, Allan
31 >
32 > --
33 > An application asked:
34 > "Requeires Windows 9x, NT4 or better",
35 > so I´ve installed Linux
36 >
37 > --
38 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list