From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 32bit or 64bit
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 14:48:17
1 On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 10:18 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 9:23 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > <SNIP>
4 >> This is all on an amd64 system. I don't know what it's like in 32-bit
5 >> x86 on Gentoo, as I've never run that form of Gentoo; I let multilib
6 >> handle things there.
7 >>
8 >> --
9 >> :wq
12 > Correct me if I'm wrong please but as I remember it everyone running
13 > 64-bit is running multi-lib unless they specifically choose a
14 > no-multilib profile, correct?
15
16 Correct. And I'm not using a no-multilib profile, either.
19 > Anyway, I suspect our systems are reasonably similar in terms of
20 > capability, and for clarity, the only 64-bit machine I have any
21 > troubles on, which are Flash & OpenGL/KDE, is my compute server that
22 > runs VMs all day, and those problems only started when I added a
23 > second Nvidia card.
24
25 I haven't run a dual-card setup. I have two systems I can relate to.
26 One is a dual-E5345 system with 10GB of RAM, and one is a Phenom 9650
27 with 8GB of RAM.
28
29 > With a single card & 2 monitors everything was
30 > fine. With 2 cards, both Nvidia but different models, and 3 monitors,
31 > Flash in Firefox fails all the time, (But not Flash in Chrome where
32 > it's built in) and some of the nice OpenGL features of KDE simply
33 > don't operate any more.
34
35 I haven't run a multimon setup in a while. I sacrificed one of my
36 displays as a debugging display for another machine.
37
38 What driver are you using? About 3 years ago, I had a setup going
39 where I was using both my onboard ATI RadeonHD3200 and an nVidia
40 GeForce 210 with five displays split across the two. Flash never
41 *crashed* on me, but it did get extraordinarily confused whenever it
42 came time to fullscreen.
43
44 (I did eventually switch to using an ATI Radeon 5770, but only because
45 of the headaches trying to manage things with two different
46 proprietary tools. You could do some scary stuff at the time. I don't
47 know if that's still possible. I'm certain I was running an
48 unsupported configuration...)
51 > If I had lots of money I'd look into an Nvidia card that supports 4
52 > outputs but for now I'm stuck with what I've got!
53
54 I'd bet on it being a driver issue.
57 :wq