From: nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Questions about optimal mplayer settings
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 11:20:33
1 On 2012-12-19, Florian Philipp wrote:
2
3 > Am 19.12.2012 00:20, schrieb Walter Dnes:
4 >> 1) In the past couple of days I finally figured out what I was doing
5 >> wrong with hardware acceleration (causing lack thereof) with an onboard
6 >> Intel GPU in my HTPC machine. I've applied the same fix to my desktop.
7 >> mplayer now has 5 video output modes that actually show a picture...
8 >>
9 >> xv X11/Xv
10 >
11 > This doesn't use any GPU features. Good compatibility but otherwise not
12 > recommended.
13
14 I thought the X Video extensions were where the hardware acceleration
15 for video acceleration was actually supposed to be implemented (not that,
16 in some drivers, said acceleration is actually implemented...).
17
18 My bets would be xv and gl, with gl being possibly better for some
19 drivers, but hey, I may be wrong about xv.
20
21 It also seems that I don't have vdpau enabled right now (I wonder if
22 that enables generic acceleration frameworks for cards other than
23 nVidia).
24
25 (AMD GPU with open drivers here.)
29 Nuno Silva (aka njsg)