From: Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to make Opera or Firefox believe my location is the UK?
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:13:35
1 Hello Renat,
2
3 On 10/18/07, Renat Golubchyk <ragermany@×××.net> wrote:
4 > It's determined based on your IP address. You can try it yourself at
5 > http://www.maxmind.com/app/locate_my_ip
6
7 I used the service, and the service determines my location with the
8 utmost precision.
9
10 I tried the following trick: an "anonymizer". Basically, I accessed
11 web-based proxy services and in the dialog I inserted
12 http://www.maxmind.com/app/locate_my_ip. The list:
13 http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/Proxying_and_Filtering/Hosted_Proxy_Services/Free/CGI_Proxy//
14 The results:
15
16 http://www.daveproxy.co.uk/ is identified TX (Texas), United States.
17 http://anonymouse.org/ is identified as an anonymous proxy.
18 http://www.kproxy.com/ is identified B8 (Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur), France.
19 http://www.cooltunnel.com/ is identified GA (Georgia), United States.
20 http://www.iphide.com/ is identified TX (Texas), United States.
21
22 and finally what I wanted:
23 http://www.phproxy.org/ is identified H9 (London), United Kingdom.
24
25 Do you think on the day of the GP BBC will consider my location as
26 London? Does anyone know by any chance some other web-based proxy
27 services that would identify as from the UK?
28
29 > If you want to have an IP address in UK you will have to use a proxy in
30 > UK. You can find a list of proxies at
31 > http://tools.rosinstrument.com/proxy/
32
33 Here I have a problem. I already connect to the Internet through a
34 transparent proxy managed by my University. I tried to use this proxy
35 planet2.manchester.ac.uk:3128, and that after having established
36 connection. However, any web page fails to download. Do you know if it
37 is at all possible to use the above UK proxy address on top of the
38 mandatory proxy address that I have to use to simply have an Internet
39 connection?
42 > You could also find another TV channel with live video and audio
43 > stream. There is a list of TV stations at http://wwitv.com/
44
45 Again, my proxy problems: all content coming from the above site tries
46 to access some funny port, and both mplayerplug-in and
47 gecko-mediaplayer fail (when using either Opera or Firefox).
48
49 Regards,
50 Liviu
51 --