From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to run X11 apps remotely?
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 18:11:09
1 On 2022-03-22, Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 >>Even something "lightweight" like atril is so slow it's barely usable.
4 >>
5 >>I do not want a "remote desktop". I just want to run a single
6 >>application on a remote machine and have its window show up locally.
7 >>
8 >>Back in the day, I used to run X11 apps remotely through dial-up
9 >>connections, and most of them were a little sluggish but still
10 >>actually usable...
11 >>
12 >>X11 transparent network support was its killer feature, but for all
13 >>practical purpopses, that feature seems to have been killed.
14
15 > As you mentioned, it's a lot of extra round-trips. Which means that
16 > it's not primarily your bandwidth that's the limiting factor, it's
17 > the latency.
18 >
19 > Unfortunately, the speed of light being what it is, there are
20 > practical limits to what you can do about latency depending on how
21 > far apart the systems in question are.
22
23 Where "far" is measured more in in hops than miles. :)
24
25 Even with cut-through routing, each hop can be expensive. Add a couple
26 firewalls with stateful packet inpsection, and latency from my house
27 to the house next door isn't great.
28
29 > But, check for and mitigate any bufferbloat issues you may have,
30 > that will spike your latency quite a bit.
31 >
32 > The key back in the day was that people used X11 primitives
33 > directly. But the X11 primitives are ugly, and there weren't any
34 > tools for making them pretty.
35
36 Yea, I remember. I wrote a couple xlib apps way back back when and it
37 was painful. Even the old Xt toolkit wasn't fun. I do appreciate how
38 easy it is to slap together something in Python and Gtk, I just wish
39 it worked remotely after it was done. :)
40
41 > So rather than add those mechanisms all the toolkit authors just did
42 > their own thing and now everything is just bitmaps and practically
43 > no processing can be done locally.
44 >
45 > Some programs like gVim will detect that they're running over SSH
46 > and fall back to basic X11 for the speed factor. Not sure what
47 > browsers might do that.
48
49 Things like Xemacs are still usable, but if I'm doing emacs, I usually
50 just run it directly in an ssh "terminal".