From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dbus failures
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 01:51:45
1 On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 7:38 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 20:42:35 -0400, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
3 >
4 >> I am recently getting wicd failures due to inability to connect to the
5 >> system.
6 >>
7 >> I get a wicd popup msg saying to look in wicd.log. However there are no
8 >> errors listed (full log below).
9 >>
10 >> I do get a popup from wicd saying
11 >> The wicd daemon has shut down. The UI will not function properly
12 >> until it is restarted.
13 >>
14 >> Also (probably starting at the same time) the gui from gnome concerning
15 >> battery power is wrong. It says 100% on the top bar (which is correct)
16 >> but when clicked, it indicates that both batteries are at 0%
17 >
18 > It sounds like DBus is not running. The wicd daemon does not need DBus,
19 > which is why your network connections still work, but the clients need
20 > DBus to talk to the daemon. The GNME battery applet may well use DBus too?
21 >
22 > Is DBus actually running? Is it in any of your runlevels?
23 >
24 > sudo rc-update -s | grep dbus
25
26 Allan runs GNOME 3, and therefore systemd. systemd cannot run without
27 dbus (unless until kdbus is ready). That is not the problem.
28
29 > It runs here, even though it is not in a runlevel, because something else
30 > depends on it. It is possible that you have either removed whatever was
31 > pulling it in or that the init script has changed and no longer depends
32 > on DBus. Or the dbus service is simply failing to start for some reason.
33 >
34 > Trying to start it from a terminal should identify which, if any, of
35 > these is the case.
36
37 Allan, could you introspect wicd? I don't use wicd, so I don't know
38 the exact destination nor object-path, but with NetworkManager is:
39
40 gdbus introspect --system --dest org.freedesktop.NetworkManager
41 --object-path /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager
42
43 wicd should use something similar. Use /etc/dbus-1/system.d/*wicd* as guide.
44
45 Regards.
46 --
47 Canek Peláez Valdés