From: "Marzan
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] NFS Server Tuning
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 21:09:20
1 Man fstab & man nfs{d} & man mount and search for sync write options. Wsize and rsize=8192 and wsize=8192 might work but I think they are deprecated. Althought, async or sync might still be used. Use these options when mouting your nfs share or make them permanent in your fstab file. Gentoo-wiki has a good guide on this. I would have given you a good set of options but I'm not able to access the inet.
2 > -----Original Message-----
3 > From: Stefan Onken [mailto:Support@××××××.de]
4 > Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2008 2:18 PM
5 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 > Subject: [gentoo-user] NFS Server Tuning
7 >
8 > Hello,
9 >
10 > I am running a x86 gentoo box as a nfs server. As a filesystem I am
11 > using XFS on a 3ware Raid system.
12 >
13 > The 3ware systems seems to be quite quick, although access via NFS
14 > seems to be very slow. Any ideas how I can improve speed ? I was
15 > expected a speed only limited by the 100 Mbit network. Now, the
16 > speed is so slow, that reading/writing at the same time is nearly
17 > impossible.
18 >
19 > Any ideas how to improve the speed ?
20 >
21 > hdparm on the gentoo box machine:
22 > backup3 ~ # hdparm -tT /dev/sdb
23 > /dev/sdb:
24 > Timing cached reads: 4108 MB in 2.00 seconds = 2054.34 MB/sec
25 > Timing buffered disk reads: 232 MB in 3.01 seconds = 77.09 MB/sec
26 >
27 > /etc/exports on the gentoo box:
28 > /mnt/backup/ 192.168.1.0/24
29 > (rw,no_root_squash,async,no_subtree_check)
30 >
31 > I am not even able to run a bonnie benchmark on the client. It seems
32 > to hang while doing rewriting. Running bonnie on the nfs server
33 > gives a fast result.
34 >
35 > /etc/fstab on the client:
36 > 192.168.1.3:/mnt/backup /mnt/backup nfs
37 > rw,users,async 0
38 >
39 > http://pastebin.com/m72ae9d47
40 >