From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cairo XCB
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 01:03:49
1 On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 1:56 PM, David W Noon <dwnoon@××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 20:50:01 +0200, Mick wrote about [gentoo-user]
4 > Cairo XCB:
5 >
6 > >I have seen messages similar to these:
7 > >
8 > > * Messages for package x11-libs/cairo-1.8.10:
9 > >
10 > > * You have enabled the Cairo XCB backend which is used only by
11 > > * a select few apps. The Cairo XCB backend is presently
12 > > * un-maintained and needs a lot of work to get it caught up
13 > > * to the Xrender and Xlib backends, which are the backends used
14 > > * by most applications. See:
15 > > * http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xcb/2008-December/004139.html
16 > [snip]
17 > >which means that it's the default. What should I do with it, wait
18 > >until the default profile gets rid of it, or do something different?
19 >
20 > My take is that the warning is against writing new applications that
21 > might use the XCB back-end. Unless you are writing expressly X Window
22 > (i.e. low level) applications, just ignore it.
23 > --
24 > Regards,
25 >
26 > Dave [RLU #314465]
28 > dwnoon@××××××××.com (David W Noon)
30 >
31 I put -xcb in the USE variable of /etc/make.conf, and did an emerge -aDNvu.
32 Everything works,
33 and cairo no longer complains. Ignoring it would probably have worked for
34 me too, but it would have
35 left me worrying.
39 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD