From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I915 mobile firmware
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 11:50:38
1 On Tuesday, 15 November 2022 16:59:59 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > My new laptop shows this from /proc/cpuinfo:
5 >
6 > --->8
7 > processor : 0
8 > vendor_id : GenuineIntel
9 > cpu family : 6
10 > model : 154
11 > model name : 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H
12 > stepping : 3
13 > microcode : 0x421
14 > --->8
15 >
16 > I've been hunting around to find which modules I need to load from
17 > sys-kernel/ linux-firmware, and it isn't at all clear.
18 >
19 > Some sources say that the processor is a mobile complement to Alder Lake
20 > 11th gen, but I also see it as just Tiger Lake. The web seems full of
21 > helpful information, but not quite helpful enough for me. :-(
22
23 Intel's website mentions this 12th Gen CPU was *formerly* known as Alder Lake,
24 was released in Q1 2022, but does not make it clear what it is now named as:
25
26 https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/products/sku/132228/intel-core-i712700h-processor-24m-cache-up-to-4-70-ghz/specifications.html
27
28 So, I'd be inclined to take their word for it. This Wikipedia lists the
29 processor as a mobile Alder Lake:
30
31 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alder_Lake#Alder_Lake-H
32
33 The Tiger Lake processors are 11th Gen and their model numbering start with
34 11***.
35
36 This page also confirms your family and model number as per cpuinfo use the
37 Golden Cove (P-cores) microarchitecture:
38
39 https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/microarchitectures/alder_lake#CPUID
40
41 sys-apps/dmidecode will provide additional information to determine the
42 specifics of what the MoBo firmware reports.