From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alternatives to audacious?
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 00:22:45
1 On Monday 04 June 2007 23:40:44 darren kirby wrote:
2 > > Was XMMS removed for licensing issues?
3 >
4 > No. It's because the code is old and unmaintained. If I had the skill I
5 > would pick it up myself, but sadly I don't know what the heck I'm doing
6 > with it...
7
8 I'd rather say it's unmaintainable. People have tried and failed. It was kept
9 in the tree for years literally after it became unmaintainable because people
10 were trying. And the bugs have piled up during that period..
11
12 > I am very surprised that someone has not done this as there seems
13 > to be a lot of "take xmms out of my cold dead hands" sort of folks out
14 > there.
15
16 What surprises me is that no-one has put it in a dedicated overlay and
17 announced it for use with layman (the zugaina overlay does have it but I
18 think it contains so much other crap too that I cannot recommend using that).
21 Bo Andresen