From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: udev blocks systemd etc
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 21:24:09
1 On 2013-03-27 4:41 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 03/27/2013 04:00 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> On 2013-03-27, Kevin Chadwick<ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >>> The real drive behind systemd is enterprise cloud type computing for
5 >>> Red Hat. The rest is snake oil and much of the features already exist
6 >>> without systemd. With more snake oil of promises of faster boot up on a
7 >>> portion of the code which is already fast and gains you maybe two
8 >>> seconds.
9
10 >> I'm not trying to fan the flames: I'm genuinely confused...
11 >>
12 >> I just don't get the whole "parallel startup for faster boot thing".
13 >> Most of my machines just don't boot up often enough for a few seconds
14 >> or even tens of seconds to matter at all.
15
16 > With cloud-based computing, you don't have a bunch of servers running,
17 > waiting to received requests.
18 >
19 > Instead, you have is a bunch of idle hardware, waiting to have pre-built
20 > system images spun up on them on-demand.
21 >
22 > The faster those pre-built images can spin up, the faster they can serve
23 > requests.
24
25 Ok, well, that actually makes perfect sense (and answers my question
26 about why Redhat is interested in and pushing it).