From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] new install
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 13:44:01
1 OK,
2
3 It's been a while, so I'm following the handbook to install a gentoo
4 server that will eventually become a firewall using a 4GB Compact
5 Flash to IDE drive on this mobo(processor):
9 # cat /proc/cpuinfo
10 processor : 0
11 vendor_id : GenuineIntel
12 cpu family : 6
13 model : 8
14 model name : Pentium III (Coppermine)
15 stepping : 6
16 cpu MHz : 1002.398
17 cache size : 256 KB
18 fdiv_bug : no
19 hlt_bug : no
20 f00f_bug : no
21 coma_bug : no
22 fpu : yes
23 fpu_exception : yes
24 cpuid level : 2
25 wp : yes
26 flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
27 pse36 mmx fxsr sse up
28 bogomips : 2007.10
32 So looking, via links Chapter 5, I have these choices:
33
34 install-x86-minimal-20090901
35 stage3-i486-20090901.tar.bz2
36 stage3-i686-20090901.tar.bz2
37
38 which of these should I download?
41 Here is my proposed make.conf file. Please suggest any enhancements,
42 I should make to this file:
43
44 CHOST="i486-pc-linux-gnu"
45 CFLAGS="-Os -march=i586 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
46 CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
47 PORTAGE_NICENESS="1"
48 MAKEOPTS="-j2"
49 USE="-* -nls hardened ncurses ssl crypt berkdb tcpd pam perl pcre \
50 python readline zlib bzip2 nptl nptlonly syslog"
53 PS I lost that url to the nifty file where the cpu/arch is matched with
54 CHOST and flag settings for various architectures.... This make.conf file
55 was for a minimal K6 system and the Pentium3 should be a little bit different?
59 All suggestions are most welcome.....
63 James