From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No news on kernel upgrade?
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 09:06:03
1 n952162 wrote:
2 >
3 > Are extra administrative steps necessary when --sync brings in a new
4 > kernel, as in:
5 >
6 >   https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Upgrade
7 >
8 > I currently have this situation:
9 >
10 > $ uname -a
11 > Linux host *4.19.72-gentoo* #7 SMP Tue Jun 9 19:51:52 CEST 2020 x86_64
12 > GNU/Linux
13 >
14 > $ eselect kernel list
15 > Available kernel symlink targets:
16 >   [1]   linux-5.4.72-gentoo
17 >   [2]   linux-5.4.80-gentoo-r1
18 >   [3]   linux-5.4.92-gentoo
19 >
20 > If an update requires additional steps, shouldn't that have appeared
21 > in the news?
26 It depends I think.  I say think because there may be a binary kernel
27 available which will upgrade itself.  I seem to recall reading about it
28 on a mailing list somewhere.  I have no experience with it tho.  That
29 said, if you use the old method, you have to upgrade the kernel
30 yourself.  There are scripts you can use to help automate it a good bit
31 but some of us still do it the manual way.  When you do updates, emerge
32 will pull in the new sources but the rest is up to you.  I suspect most
33 that do it the old way, copy .config over to the new kernel directory,
34 run make oldconfig and answer the questions, compile the new kernel,
35 copy it to /boot using the right method which there is a few of and then
36 configure your bootloader if needed.  The link you posted explains this
37 in more detail, and may be more complete too.
38
39 I'm trying to remember what that binary kernel thing is called.  I just
40 skimmed the messages so it could be something else or not even in the
41 tree yet.
42
43 Dale
44